For extending a license, you must prove competence. You do this by proving authorized sailing time. Sailing time whilstin possession of a valid license for the relevant function. The required sailing time is as follows:
For an officer's license in the merchant industry and for all sailing ships:
• 360 days in the past five years or;
• 90 days in the past six months.
For an officer's license for sailing vessels <500 GT:
• 180 sailing days (= 1 season) in the past five years or;
• 90 days (= ½ season) in the past six months.
When applying for a license extension, the sailing time in different branches of industry is interchangeable, unless applicant has sailed in a relevant function.
In addition to sailing time, you also have to renew the relevant refresher courses every five years. This can be one or more of the following training courses:
• basic safety training (STCW A-VI/1 (1-4);
• advanced fire fighting (STCW A-VI/3);
• proficiency survival crafts (other than fast rescue boats); (STCW A-VI/2-1);
• medical first aid (STCW A-VI/4-1);
• medical care (STCW A-VI/4-2).
In the flowchart you can also see which refresher training courses apply to each specific license.